A representative from AZ Early Intervention came out to the house last night.
Had no idea what to expect. Didn't know if it was just another "evaluation" or a
full blown Speech Therapy Session. All I did know was that this lady who came
out, was the last step we needed to get through the door to DDD (Department of
Developmental Disabilities). So we needed her report and her referral to get
through that door.
So, I pick Conor up from Great Grandma's house. Come to find out, my little monkey chose not to take a nap at all. We drive home and just as I knew he would, he fell asleep on the way home. Arrived at the house about 5 minutes before Cindy (the AZEIP rep) showed up. As expected, when we got home, Conor was tired and cranky.
Cindy shows up and Conor is still tired and cranky. Just wanted to be held. Was not a lot of interaction with Cindy and Conor, not sure if that was normal for this step and if she was just there to get answers to some questions, or if she didn't engage in interactions with Conor because he was tired. Either way, I was a little bothered by that.
Cindy started her questions.... As her questions went on, I became frustrated as she kept asking the same questions over and over again. Sometimes they were just worded a little different, but ultimately, it was the same damn question.... "is he saying any words at all".... The answer to each and every question was "NO". I did my best to stay calm and not show my frustration and I believe I did a pretty good job.
Toward the end of her questions, she said she needed to go back and score her questions. She said they even without adding everything up, she said she was going to go a head and write her report and refer Conor to DDD. (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) She said just with his lack of speech, period, she would refer him to get the proper speech therapy. Then she went on to say something that really pissed me off, so much so that I have had to wait an entire day to write in this blog as to not say something inappropriate.
After she tells me that she will refer him to DDD because of his "speech delay" she says "IF HE IS DELAYED IN ANY OF THE OTHER AREAS.............. DDD will be able to help there as well." HUH? Excuse me? "IF HE IS DELAYED IN ANY OF THE OTHER AREAS?" Ummmm.... Right then, a light went off in my head and I realized that this Cindy person had not even spoken to Naielie, the AZEIP rep that Conor and I met with on the 10th of Feb, (after we had the group evaluation with the team of doctors at SW Human Development). Not any time within the last 13 days, had Cindy spoken to Naielie about my son.
I was so pissed. I tried to look for the summary and the written diagnosis that Susan gave me from SW Human Development and I was so pissed I couldn't even think. I couldn't find it. (Of course after I left, I remembered it was in the scanner where I left it after I scanned it.) I had to tell her of the diagnosis. I had to tell her that he was INDEED delayed in all 5 of the other areas, and not just speech. IF she had spoken to Naielie prior to walking through my front door, she would have known this.
WHY would these two people not talk? WHY would when Cindy looked at her schedule for today, would be not notice that Conor had already been evaluated and WHY would she not pick up the phone and say "Hey, Naielie. I saw you evaluated Conor. Send me your report. Tell me a little about him" SOMETHING!?!?!
I now see what Susan said to me "I want to make sure Conor doesn't slip through the cracks". All I want for my son is to get the proper treatment. Obviously what I have been doing, what everyone has been doing, hasn't worked. Someone give me some damn direction!!!
Anyway, after my light went off, I quickly had to curb my temper. I then asked her, "What is the next step?" Cindy tells me that she meets with her team next Thursday, March 1st. She will at that time give them her referral for Conor to be eligible for DDD. She said that soon after, I would be getting a call from someone to come out and set up yet ANOTHER evaluation and set goals. I started to ask her a few other questions.... but I got the distinct impression that she either didn't know the answers to my questions or didn't want to be bothered. So when she asked me if I had any more questions, I just told her "no". KNOWING I still had plenty on my list.... KNOWING that I would just ask Susan from SW Human Development my questions instead.
I was pretty pissed off about her walking into my house without ANY knowledge of my son. When I think about it. When I talk about it. I get upset all over again. This is my son we are talking about here. I am prepared....... THEY SHOULD BE PREPARED AS WELL. Is that too much to ask?
So, I pick Conor up from Great Grandma's house. Come to find out, my little monkey chose not to take a nap at all. We drive home and just as I knew he would, he fell asleep on the way home. Arrived at the house about 5 minutes before Cindy (the AZEIP rep) showed up. As expected, when we got home, Conor was tired and cranky.
Cindy shows up and Conor is still tired and cranky. Just wanted to be held. Was not a lot of interaction with Cindy and Conor, not sure if that was normal for this step and if she was just there to get answers to some questions, or if she didn't engage in interactions with Conor because he was tired. Either way, I was a little bothered by that.
Cindy started her questions.... As her questions went on, I became frustrated as she kept asking the same questions over and over again. Sometimes they were just worded a little different, but ultimately, it was the same damn question.... "is he saying any words at all".... The answer to each and every question was "NO". I did my best to stay calm and not show my frustration and I believe I did a pretty good job.
Toward the end of her questions, she said she needed to go back and score her questions. She said they even without adding everything up, she said she was going to go a head and write her report and refer Conor to DDD. (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) She said just with his lack of speech, period, she would refer him to get the proper speech therapy. Then she went on to say something that really pissed me off, so much so that I have had to wait an entire day to write in this blog as to not say something inappropriate.
After she tells me that she will refer him to DDD because of his "speech delay" she says "IF HE IS DELAYED IN ANY OF THE OTHER AREAS.............. DDD will be able to help there as well." HUH? Excuse me? "IF HE IS DELAYED IN ANY OF THE OTHER AREAS?" Ummmm.... Right then, a light went off in my head and I realized that this Cindy person had not even spoken to Naielie, the AZEIP rep that Conor and I met with on the 10th of Feb, (after we had the group evaluation with the team of doctors at SW Human Development). Not any time within the last 13 days, had Cindy spoken to Naielie about my son.
I was so pissed. I tried to look for the summary and the written diagnosis that Susan gave me from SW Human Development and I was so pissed I couldn't even think. I couldn't find it. (Of course after I left, I remembered it was in the scanner where I left it after I scanned it.) I had to tell her of the diagnosis. I had to tell her that he was INDEED delayed in all 5 of the other areas, and not just speech. IF she had spoken to Naielie prior to walking through my front door, she would have known this.
WHY would these two people not talk? WHY would when Cindy looked at her schedule for today, would be not notice that Conor had already been evaluated and WHY would she not pick up the phone and say "Hey, Naielie. I saw you evaluated Conor. Send me your report. Tell me a little about him" SOMETHING!?!?!
I now see what Susan said to me "I want to make sure Conor doesn't slip through the cracks". All I want for my son is to get the proper treatment. Obviously what I have been doing, what everyone has been doing, hasn't worked. Someone give me some damn direction!!!
Anyway, after my light went off, I quickly had to curb my temper. I then asked her, "What is the next step?" Cindy tells me that she meets with her team next Thursday, March 1st. She will at that time give them her referral for Conor to be eligible for DDD. She said that soon after, I would be getting a call from someone to come out and set up yet ANOTHER evaluation and set goals. I started to ask her a few other questions.... but I got the distinct impression that she either didn't know the answers to my questions or didn't want to be bothered. So when she asked me if I had any more questions, I just told her "no". KNOWING I still had plenty on my list.... KNOWING that I would just ask Susan from SW Human Development my questions instead.
I was pretty pissed off about her walking into my house without ANY knowledge of my son. When I think about it. When I talk about it. I get upset all over again. This is my son we are talking about here. I am prepared....... THEY SHOULD BE PREPARED AS WELL. Is that too much to ask?
No comments:
Post a Comment