Well, I just recieved the letter from Conor's Speech Therapist, Stacy. Not gonna lie, I teared up. Had to get this letter to take to the doctor tomorrow to hopfully get a perscription for an additional session per week of speech therapy. I dont see why they would not give me the script, they will see Conor is non-verbal, they will see the recommendation from this therapist.... Why would they not? Only reason I could think of is that they don't know Conor or his history. I got to thinking, I had sent in a records release to Great Desintations (his former doctors's office) to have his records sent over to DV Peds. That was beginning of last week. I just realized I had not heard anything from either office. Figuring I had better check... I just called DV Peds to see if they recieved them, and had to leave a message. I called Great Desintations, also had to leave a message. GGGRR...
Anyway, as I read this letter from Stacy about Conor........ I can't help but to notice how much I have missed out having to work on Friday's now. I can't help to realize how much I appreciate the fact that my daugther is able to be there for him. Here is the letter that I was sent to take to Conor's appointment tomorrow.
Conor Thompson
8/2/12
Letter of Medical Necessity:
I am the
supervisor of the Speech Assistant that treats Conor Thompson, and I recently
supervised a therapy session with Conor and Lindsay (Speech Assistant). My speech assistant has been treating Conor
for 5 months now and we have been in contact regularly regarding Conor’s
progress and areas of concern she may have regarding Conor’s therapy.
Conor is currently making sounds such as vowel
sounds and repetitive speech syllables.
While Conor has made progress in his ability to produce some sounds
during structured activities, he continues to be nonverbal. At this time, he is unable to communicate his
wants and needs with his family members or caregivers. He is able to point or gesture to communicate
with them but he is unable to imitate words.
He is beginning to imitate mouth movements and his ability to engage in
speech therapy has greatly increased.
Conor is
now exhibiting an increase in his receptive language abilities and he is
pointing to objects, matching objects, and making increased eye contact. His receptive language skills are improving
while his expressive language skills continue to be a challenge for Conor. Due to a gap in his ability and due to his
diagnosis, I highly recommend that Conor receive an additional speech language
therapy session. Therapy should address
the following areas;
1.
Establishing a
functional communication system with Conor whether it be verbal behaviors or
the use of pictures to communicate.
2.
Continuing to address Conor’s verbal abilities and his
production of sounds appropriately.
3.
Establishing an oral motor program for Conor to
increase his oral strength and coordination.
4.
Continuing to engage in Conor in age appropriate social
activities to increase his eye contact, reciprocity, and social awareness.
If any further information is
needed please feel free to contact me at stacyfusco@gmail.com,
or 602-319-2727.
Stacy Fusco M.S. CCC-SLP
Well, I guess we will see what tomorrow brings............
No comments:
Post a Comment