It is said that Autism is a "disability". Well, I say Autism is NOT a "disability". Autism is just another challenge. Autism is just another hurdle that one needs to find a way to get past, by any means necessary. Over.... Under... Around.... Doesn't matter. Conor will find HIS way past this hurdle.... Autism WILL NOT Define My Son. Conor will define who he is and who he wants to be. Be sure to follow Conor along his journey at www.facebook.com/AutismWillNotDefineMyson.
2/22/2012
"Mommy... My Tummy Hurts"
Sunday afternoon, Conor is out playing in his sandbox... A little while later, Jason notices a mark on the back of his leg. At first it did look like a bug bite. Swollen, red, and even had a little dot in the middle where it looked like something had bit him. Come day two, it was looking more like road rash and/or a scrape. It was a sensitive area and it was obvious Conor was bothered by us touching it, so we just kept an eye on it and left it alone. That same day Conor started with diarrhea. Grreeaaattt......
Come Monday morning. Conor seemed to be doing good. Mark on leg was looking better. Took him over to Grandma Linda's house for the day. I pick him up after work and come to find out that he had thrown up and didn't eat much that day. Mark on leg seemed better, not as swollen, but was now more like a scab type mark. Anyway, went home and attempted to feed him dinner. Didn't go so well. Came right back up. Did what I could to make sure that he was drinking fluids but be pushed a lot of what I offered him away.
Tuesday morning, mark looked about the same as Monday. Dropped him off at Grandma Linda's again and even without anything in his stomach, he proceeded to throw up again. I called as soon as the doctors opened and got him an appointment for later that day. Get to the doctor and Dr Gettleman says Conor has ALL THE SIGNS of a stomach bug. On top of that, what we thought was a bug bite on the back of his leg is now just a big old lesion and is being treated with a prescription ointment to treat the infection.
You know what sucks about Conor being sick like this? Yeah sure, he has diarrhea. Yeah sure, he is throwing up almost every meal he tries to eat. But what also sucks is the fact that he can't tell me what is wrong with him. He can crawl up on my lap and give me a hug, or just place my hands around him for me to hold him, but that is all he can communicate. He cant tell me, "Mommy, my tummy hurts".
I see/hear kids his age, speaking full sentences. I see kids his age, pointing to things they want. I hear kids his age and even younger calling for their Mommy. I have waited soo soooo soooooooo long to hear someone, a little voice about knee high, say those words to me. Now.... when I do hear those words finally come out of Conor's mouth, they are going to mean so much more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment