2/20/2012

WOW!!!

Day one of making this announcement IMMEDIATELY our friends and family showed their support. Thinking I should have aimed a little bit higher on my goals! I put down a goal of raising $500 and people have already donated $200. I also put down 10 people to recruit to walk with us, and already we have 4 people walking and more said that they were going to sign up. AMAZING....... If only it was this easy for the doctors to say "Conor is developing normally", but they are not.
So many people have sent messages on Facebook, left messages here on Conor's Blog, sent emails and texts.... All showing their support and asking what they can do to help. Got an email today from a friend that actually made me cry. The person who sent this email is a very laid back, quiet guy and what he said in this email I totally didn't expect to hear from him.
To be honest, I am still not quite sure the reality of it all has sunk in. I think once I speak to the first therapist on Thursday and ask her the list of questions I have compiled since last week when I first got the news about his condition, maybe it will sink in then? Maybe it won't be till we meet with the next therapist, or the one after that.... Then again, I could be just walking down the street and it could just sink in hit me like a ton of bricks.

I just look at him and I think, "Nawww.... he is not Autistic". He comes up to me, climbs up on my lap, and gives hugs and kisses and I think, "Nawww.... Look how affectionate he is, he is not Autistic". But every time I say that little phrase in my head "Nawww... He is not Autistic" I also think "But if he is, it is not going to change how I feel about him".

One of the Facebook groups that I subscribe to posts these articles once a day or every other day, and the one I was reading the other day was saying that they are able to diagnose signs of Autism in babies as early as 6 months old by monitoring their brain waves or something...... 6 months.... That is crazy! Then in the same article, it went on to talk about the benefits of finding out early (toddler years) and the benefits of Early Intervention programs. Sooo many success stories. Kids that grow up, go to college, get degrees, become lawyers!!! Now, due to the fact that Conor is not talking yet, imagining him arguing like a lawyer is a little hard to grasp, but hey..... ANYTHING is possible. LOL

8 Years ago, Jason and I set out on a quest to get pregnant. After 5 years of trying, after procedure after procedure, after tests, and drugs, and tests, and more drugs FINALLY we overcame that challenge and we were able to create 3 viable embryos. 3 years ago, all 3 embryos were implanted. Conor's embryo was the only one of the 3 that survived. Before he even had a heartbeat, he was overcoming challenges. Conor overcame the challenge of a high risk pregnancy. Conor overcame the challenge of a touch and go labor. Conor is only 2 years old and already he has overcome so many challenges. THIS diagnosis is just another challenge he will overcome.

No comments: