4/17/2012

Occupational Therapy

Okay......... Last Friday during Conor's therapy session with Dareth, she brought to my attention that he was not doing Occupational Therpay. Going back through my notes, Dr Kessler and his team had recommended that Conor go through speech, developmental, AND occupational. It must have been an over site on Joann's part as well as mine because we did not include that in his IFSP (Individualized Family Service Plan). I was so overwhelmed that day that Joann and Naiellie came out to the house to do all the paperwork and financial stuff, I just wasn't thinking right. It was just me there by myself and there was a lot to try and comprehend, I missed it. If it weren't for Dareth, bringing this to my attention, God only knows how long it would have been before someone picked up on the fact that he was not going through occupational therapy. I felt so bad....... Everything I am TRYING to do here to help my son and I miss something huge like that?!?!?! What else have I missed? What else am I going to miss? I need to be more on the ball that's for sure.......

Anyway... I emailed Joann and asked her about it. She said that she would get on it and get him hooked up with the therapy and would keep me posted. Joann has been great. I email her and usually that same day, if not the next in the morning, I get a response.

Sooooooooo now, we wait and try and get set up with yet another therapist. I want the best for Conor, but I also need to make sure that he is comfortable and that he doesn't get overwhelmed. He needs to like his therapists and feel comfortable with them in order to learn. It's just like coaching softball. If you don't like or respect your coach, you are going to tune them out, you will never learn what they are trying to teach you and your skills will never improve.

No comments: