6/08/2012

Lots to update!!!!

Looking at the blog here, I cannot believe it has been since April 17th since I have written anything! Things have been so crazy and hectic across the board. Business keeping me busy, one of these days I will see some profit come of it (I hope). Softball has started up again. New demands at my other job. UGH... "Personal issues" compound the added stress of everyday life... But NONE of that matters when it comes to my little monkey and what he is having to deal with.

Every Friday is Therapy Day. Now, Conor sees Friday's as a "Play-Day", I see it as a "OMG, Please learn something new today-Day". He gets excited when he sees them walk in the door. He gets excited to see their bags of toys and all the new stuff they bring. Conor's therapists are great with him. Lindsey, his speech therapist he sees every Friday at 10am. Dareth, his developmental sees him right after that at 1115am. Today though, he starts a THIRD therapy. Occupational Therapy with Lisa. She should be at the house shortly. I am sitting here at work. My second week not being able to be there for his therapy. Jason lost his job about 3 weeks ago and unfortunately that has left me needed to pick up more hours at work. That includes now working on Friday Therapy Day.

I killed me last week getting 3rd party reports on how Conor did. Not seeing him react. Not seeing them teach him and/or enforce certain things. I hate this! Jason and Flo were both home last week with Conor as he did therapy. Jason is home today with him. It's just not the same. It's not me. Jason and I don't see a lot of things eye to eye, therapy included. I have done so much research on Autism, the types of Autism, the treatments for Autism. I have watched webinars and videos. Jason doesn’t have the knowledge that I feel he should have on this disorder, but that is my opinion. I cant force him sit down and do the research. I cant force him to read the books I have bought or the brochures and guides I have printed out. So basically what he has learned is what I have been able to tell him. Jason feels that I am a "push-over" and I baby him a lot. Yeah, I am sure that I do, but what he doesn’t understand is that there are times with Conor that you do have to take the "stern road" and times when you have to take the "baby-ing road". It's not always the "stern road". Something I think he MAY HAVE learned the other day. It was time for bed. Conor wasn't quite ready for bed (in his opinion). He was beyond tired. Conor picked up his toys (with a little help) and it was time to go get PJ's on. Conor refused to follow Jason into his room. Jason came out to get Conor and he cried and cried so hard. Jason was somewhat "stern" with him and you could hear the frustration in Jason's tone toward Conor. Before it got worse, I went in to see what was going on. Conor was very upset. For whatever reason, he was upset. Jason didn't seem to care that Conor was crying as hard as he was. I went over to him and tried to get him to calm down, but as soon as I approached him, Conor threw up. He was so upset that he threw up all over both of us. Cleaned up what I could and took him to the bed where I just held and rocked him till he calmed down. After all was said and done, and after Conor was calm. I had to explain to Jason that whether that was a 2 year old tantrum or an Autism fit, it didn’t matter. It never should have gotten to that point. I explained to him the difference between the two. I offered suggestions on how to prevent such an incident in the future. I explained to Jason there are times to be "stern" and there are times when you just need to hold him. This was one of those times. By this time, Conor was completely calm and about 75% asleep in my arms. Jason then took him and told him he was sorry. Then he put him down to sleep and he was out for the night. IN MY OPINION, a little more knowledge on Autism may have prevented that incident. JUST MY OPINION. Just as Conor is learning, Jason is learning too. Just wish they both would learn a little quicker.

Conor is actually doing pretty good. He finally signed "more" for first time a few weeks ago. Needs guidance to keep doing it, but he can do it. He can pick up his toys now as long as we start the process for him, he will complete it 9x out of 10. We say "it's bath time" and he runs to the bath. We say "let's go change your britches" and he USUALLY goes right to the changing table. There are times where we get a little resistance and hear a little whining along the way, but what kid doesn’t do that?!?!! LOL Developmentally he is doing a lot better. If only he would start SPEAKING......... I keep hearing other moms who kids are Autistic and their kid didn’t talk till he was 4. Their kid didn’t talk till he was 3-1/2. Etc Etc Etc. Well, my kid is not their kid. Yes, as much as I wish to come home from work today and to hear Conor say "Hi Mom" I know it wont happen. Conor will talk when he is ready. All I can do it keep trying.

It is common knowledge that Autism kids are very smart. Most Autism kids have some kind of special talent or extreme interest. Be it music, trains, baseball, bugs, or whatever... I think Conor's interest is going to have something to do with water. HE LOOOVES THE WATER. He loves to swim. He loves to wash his hands. He loves to take baths. He loves to put water in his mouth, let it dribble out, and just watch what it does when it hits different things (his slide, the carpet, the tile, his shirt). When it comes to swimming, it scares the crap out of me that he has no fear. I still have not found one single thing that his kid is afraid of. Not even the dark. But when we are in the pool, he doesn’t think twice about taking that last leap off the steps WITHOUT his floaties and going under. Now this is going to sound cruel, but this is one of those times when you need to be "stern"..... I will allow him to play a little on the steps without his floaties and when he takes that leap and he goes under I leave him there for a few seconds before pulling him up. Trying to get him to see that HE NEEDS HIS FLOATIES still and he cant take that last leap without them, "just yet". I feel so bad just sitting there watching him underwater, but how else will he learn the dangers? What if (God forbid) he falls in Grandma Mallory's pool or Grandma Linda's pool and FOR SOME REASON no one is right there next to him like I always am in the pool? I know he hates going under, but he doesn’t seem to be "afraid" of it because he keeps doing it. As long as he keeps doing it, I will keep standing right next to him to save him. One of these days he is just going to take off though. Guessing by the end of summer, we wont even need to start out with the floaties. Hell, he is already jumping off the edge, over and over and over again and he LOVES IT!!!


Let's see... what else has been going on? OH!!!!!!!!!!!! Conor's walk and fundraisers. I have started the first one, a raffle for a free portrait session and/or a free wedding package. My business is donating (well I am donating) time and services to raise money for Autism. I have posted this offer on Facebook and several Autism Facebook pages. So far, not much play. 20 tickets have been sold far, had been hoping for more. But there are still a little over 3 weeks left in the month of June. All proceeds are going to the Autism Speaks walk in October. Amy from the AZ chapter of Autism Speaks has said she is going to post and do some spreading of the word for me. Kind of disappointed in MY personal Facebook response to that raffle. Had posted and asked my FB friends to share my link on their page about the raffle and that was a few days ago. So far, only 3 people have shared that link. Out of the 95 FB friends I have (granted, not everyone is local) but I sure thought I would get a lot more than 3 people willing to share that link about the raffle. VERY grateful to the 3 that did though.

To buy a ticket or more info, visit www.MallorysPhotography.com and click on the "Support Autism Awareness" button on the left side of the Mallory's Photography home page.


In addition to the raffle, I am going today to finalize dates for two poker tournaments. One end of July and the other end of September. Again, all proceeds will be going toward the Autism Speaks walk in October. Hoping the poker tournaments are going to be big hits. Each time we have done a poker tournament for softball, they have usually brought in about 40-50 people and we have made around $1000. Hoping this is going to surpass that in numbers and money. Finalizing dates today and will start marketing the first one in July as soon as I can.

Well, Conor should in the middle of his first official Occupational Therapy session. UGH........ Head is not going to be into work till after 12pm today. Asked Jason to ask both Lindsay and Dareth for their opinions on adding an additional therapy during the week. Maybe on a Tues or Wed. So we will see what they have to say. Thinking that THREE therapies in on day is a lot, and back to back.... UGH... My poor baby is gonna be spent by noon. Should take a good long nap at least. LOL

Will TRY and keep up on the blog from here on out.


No comments: