6/29/2012

AZ Long Term Care

Okay.......... had a visit from Arizona Long Term Care about Conor's continued therapy treatments today. She explained a lot to me. THANK GOD! Not being totally clear on how all this worked was driving me crazy.

Okay, under current AZ LAW Conor gets tested and diagnosed. In Conor's case this was done in Feb and diagnosed with "at risk". With this diagnosis and his age, he automatically qualifies for AZEIP (Arizona Early Intervention Program). This opens the door to all the therapists he is currently working with. This door is only open with AZEIP till Conor turns 3 years old though. This current therapy could be paid for 3 different ways... Strictly by the State of Arizona, by the State of Arizona plus private medical insurance, by the State of Arizona plus private pay (a percentage based on income), or strictly by private pay. In Conor's case, it is being paid for strictly by the State of Arizona according to this letter we got a week or so ago.


At age three they transition Conor into the Developmental Preschool programs through the school district. In Conor's case, we are currently in the Dysart School District which from what several people have told me, has the best Developmental Preschool programs in the state!!! This is a very good place to be right now, I am told. So God forbid anything were to happen..... I need to make sure we stay in the Dysart School District.

So, okay.... After age 3, and Conor is mainstreamed into the school district. What happens then? Who pays for that? Well, this letter seems to be like Conor's Golden Ticket. She said this letter will follow him throughout school. Once he transitions at age three, he will be evaluated again by the person/group of my choosing. (Which I will probably go back to SW Human Development and see Dr Kessler and his team again.) But with THAT diagnosis AZ Long Term Care evaluates the report and the course of treatment recommended and they set it all up from there. From what I am told, this letter from DES will make Conor eligible for any and all treatment through the State of Arizona, including any treatment set up and monitored through Arizona Long Term Care.

The thing I am not to happy about is that he gets evaluated at age 3 when he transitions, but does NOT get evaluated again until he just before he turns 6 years old!!! HUH? Seriously? 3 years go by without an evaluation? Well, she said I can get him evaluated at any point and time, but the State of Arizona doesn't require another evaluation till he turns 6 years old.

Regardless, that is a ways away and I am focusing on here and now. And HERE AND NOW we are focusing on SPEECH and trying to get him set up with 2 a week sessions and not just 1 a week. Sooooooo I should probably end this blog right now and shoot some emails over to his caseworker and his speech therapist to see what is going on with that.





No comments: