This is blog that provoked me to voice my opinion below: http://paulacdurbinwestbyautisticblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/school-supplies-our-autistic-children.html
Oh man... If I wasn't pissed off and disappointed already after the poor turnout for the Poker Tournament fundraiser yesterday to BENEFIT Autism Speaks.... I sure as hell am now!
I firmly believe that EVERYONE has the right to their opinion. I firmly believe in this great country we live in, this great country that gives us (for the most part) the right to make our own decisions. This person Paula C. Durbin-Westby chose to publicly voice their opinion. I chose to make the mistake of reading it. I in turn will use MY right to now voice MY opinion....
First of all...... I do not know what her connection is with Autism and the Autism community, nor does it matter. I probably could have done the research and checked out more of her blog, but I CHOSE not to. For ANYONE (with or without a connection) to think it is wrong for Walmart to be carrying these Autism Speaks items and to market them in the back to school section is oblivious to the point of the items and to the message!
Over the past several weeks I have been busting MY ASS to try and bring awareness to this Autism Disorder that MY SON has. Night and day.... Day and night.... I had ATTEMPTED to put together a Poker Tournament Fundraiser to benefit the Autism Speaks walk here in Tempe on October 28th. I used Facebook and I am pretty sure some people would say I ABUSED Facebook. I posted on our page. I posted on my personal wall. I posted on local Autism pages. I posted on friend/family pages in the hopes that they would at least share the information with their Facebook friends. I sent emails. I sent text messages. I even snail mailed letters and fliers. I acquired raffle items. I ran around town the night before to get the items. I put everything together. I organized everything.... Virtually by myself. Out of the 32 local Facebook pages I touched. Out of the 100+ people on my personal Facebook page, the 162 on the Autism Will Not Define My Son's page, and launching our won website www.AutismWillNotDefineMySon.com ..... Any idea how many people showed up to the event? 12......... 12 PEOPLE........ 9 Poker Players who bought their entry fee (which by the way, ALL proceeds go to the Walk Now For Autism Speaks Walk).
I don't know why we have such a poor turn out. I understand times are hard. People are out of work. People had to work. I understand.... but I honestly expected more of a turn out then 12 PEOPLE. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful for the people who DID show up to show their support. I am even grateful for Amy Hummell, head of Autism Speaks here in Arizona. Who brought her family out to the event.
Now.... with that being said, my son is only 2 and 1/2 and will be starting preschool soon and then kindergarten after that.... WITHOUT AWARENESS.... WITHOUT Autism Speaks giving ME the tools and the resources I needed when I was first told of my son's Autism I don't know where I would be right now.
I first saw a picture of this Autism Speaks Walmart display on the Autism Speaks Los Angeles Facebook page. I asked them if this was local or nation wide. I was ecstatic to hear it was nation wide. I still have not even been to a Walmart yet to look for these items, but after I finish this blog, I just might head up there and buy ONE OF EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
As I said, Autism Speaks and their resources and their website and Tool Kits and and and... Helped me beyond belief. Dr Kessler, a highly nation wide recognized doctor, who diagnosed my son, recommended I look into Autism Speaks. I seriously doubt he would have done that if he didn't believe in them and what they did and stood for.
There are scientists and doctors doing all kinds of research and studies to find out exactly what causes Autism. Those same people are doing their best to try and find a cure and a treatment and a way to prevent it from getting worse. Does this Paula C Durbin-Westby think this research is FREE? The people with the degrees are working on the scientific behind the scene stuff, lets try and help them where we can. If my buying a fricken pencil and you buying a damn note pad will help them, then like I said I am headed up to WallyWorld as soon as I am done with this to buy one of EACH!!!!!
Now... On the front line, there is US......... The community.... The parents......... The friends and family.......... Do you think without a logo and without a marketing campaign, NIKE would be where they are now? Or McDonald's? No........... Do you think people would be so aware of breast cancer if people didn't talk about it? If people didn't hold walks and fundraisers? Hell no!!!!!!!! It's all MAKING PEOPLE AWARE!!! 20 years ago, breast cancer was a secret. if you had it, you didn't want anyone to know. Its wasn't till last several years that you see people with breast cancer flaunting the fact that they have or had it. It's is all about KNOWLEDGE......... It is all about AWARENESS!!!!!!!!!! I sure as hell hope it doesn't take 20 years for people to start being more AWARE of Autism. My son starts preschool in 4 months, he doesn't have 20 years!!!!!!
I am proud of my son. I am proud to wear these bracelets on my hand every single day. My son is 2 and 1/2 and is non-verbal. My son struggles every day with different things. WITHOUT AWARENESS people are ignorant!!!!!!! I am scared to fricken death to send my son to preschool in 4 months have to deal with people calling him names and picking on him cause he has this disorder. I am scared to death that he may never be able to play baseball. I am scared to death that he may not be able to do a lot of things.... But you know what I am MOST SCARED OF? I am scared of people like Paula C Durbin-Westby who writes blogs like this and who writes to Walmart to ask for these items to be removed from shelves. Paula C Durbin-Westby is missing the point....... Whether it is ALL funds or a percentage of the funds that goes to Autism Speaks and their research, it shouldn't matter. What matters is that AWARENESS these items are also being intended to make.
Like I said, we live in a country where people have the right to make their own decisions. Parents can choose not to buy the items for their kids. Parents can also choose to buy all of the items. That is their choice. I would hope that there is a kid out there that says "Hey mom? Isn't Autism what Conor has? Can I get these Autism pens, please? So I can support Conor?" I am HAPPY that Walmart is making these items readily available. I have the right to ask my friends and family to go buy a damn pencil. They have the right to say no.
WITHOUT AWARENESS.... WITHOUT EDUCATION........ WITHOUT us parents BEING PARENTS and TEACHING OUR KIDS how to be sensitive to other kids with disabilities of all kinds, we as parents are doing a HUGE INJUSTICE to our kids.
I do not want Conor to be going to school with these same fears. This is my son Conor... I am proud of him. I am not ashamed of his struggles. I embrace them, just as I embrace him every single day.
I would like to thank this Paula C. Durbin-Westby for lighting that fire under my ass to get up to Walmart to buy my items. Pretty sure that wasn't what she was going for when she posted her blog, but as I said... She has the right to her opinion, just as I have the right to mind. Now... If you would please excuse me while I go to Walmart and purchase my Autism Speaks items.




1 comment:
Proud of you for doing what a mom should do ..protect her child! sorry we didnt attend but i will try to get my family and friends and us also when or if we have extra dough to go to walmart and support Conor!! we love you guys!
Post a Comment