1/19/2014

01/19/14 - Conor's Potty Training Journey

A fellow Autism Momma sent me a message few days ago and asked for some advice on potty training. I laugh when I get questions like this because I know I am nowhere near reaching "Potty Training GURU" status. Hell it was about a year ago when I was messaging everyone I could asking the same question! But, regardless, I gave her he step by step method of potty training that I implemented. She suggested that I share this on this blog, as it might help others. Soooo... I am sharing.
This is what worked for Conor. From start to finish it took about 6 months.


 
This is what to wrote:   

 Potty training.. Oh boy! Okay, this is lengthy, so I am going to lay it out in steps 1-2-3 that I did. I am also attaching a photo of Conor’s Potty Training Chart that we used. We had one of these charts at every house he went to. Home (in both bathrooms), each grandmas house’s and his father’s house. When I was in the “planning stages” I took photos of HIM going through the steps to make it more personal to HIM. He then had to complete each step to get his tablet. You could use Legos or M&M’s or whatever ******** is into for step #5. But these were the steps I followed: 


1) I started with a little potty chair and put it in the living room and had him just sit on it, fully clothed, to watch TV and stuff. So he could get comfortable just sitting on it and wasn’t scared of it. 

2) Every time anyone in the houses went to the bathroom, we took him with us. Again, explaining everything we were doing, showing him the pee/poop in the toilet when we were done and then would let HIM flush it, so he wasn’t scared of it when it came time for HIM to flush his own pee etc. 

3) So after a few weeks of step #2, every 15 minutes I would take him and put in on the potty (diaper free) and try and get him to go pee. I did this for several weeks and the 15 minutes eventually would go to 30 minutes, 45 minutes, an hour etc…. The KEY is NOT to give in and give him his #5 (on the chart) until he went potty. There were times where Conor would sit on the potty for 5 minutes or more before he would do anything. 

4) After a few weeks of this, I attempted to move him to the big potty. He was hesitant and on occasion fought me, acting as if he was scared to sit on it. Then, out of the blue he just started climbing up on the toilet totally on his own. I then started the same process all over again, taking him to the big toilet on a schedule. (Yes, Conor sits to pee. I prefer this, less mess. LOL Easy to train. In my opinion, he can learn to pee standing up later, NOT peeing in the pants/bed was more of a priority to me.) 

5) After a few weeks or so, Conor was 100% going pee on the big toilet on his own. 

6) Now……….. Pooping on the toilet, well, that is a whole other issue! Conor would go in his pants (in the middle of the living room) and then take his pants off and run through the house pant less. Knowing what he had just done, I would take him to his pants and as gross as it sounds, I made him clean up his own mess. I would give him paper towels and make him pick up his poop off the floor and make him put it in the toilet. He needed to see where it was SUPPOSED TO GO versus where he actually put it (on the floor or in his pants). 

7) I had to be VERY watchful of him. Luckily, I read him very well, so I knew the signs (for the most part) of when he was pooping or about to poop or just had pooped. If it was a situation where he had already gone, but not dropped his drawers yet, we would run into the bathroom and I would simply pull his pants down over the toilet while everything in his pants, fell into the toilet. Again, talking to him and making sure he saw it go into the toilet and telling him repeatedly that the TOILET was where the poop went, not the floor and not his pants. 

8) After maybe 4-6 weeks this was pretty much understood and he was running to the potty to both pee AND poop! 

9) Then you have peeing in public. Conor never really had an issue with this, using public toilets isn’t an issue for him (like it is for many others – even me at times LOL) and I contribute this to the steps above. Especially him watching adults go to the bathroom and flushing for them, making him not scared of the toilet. 

10) Then we moved onto bedtime.... Pullups vs Undies..... This too was a step by step process. 

11) First was nap time. When he would go several days without peeing in his pullup during nap time, I started putting undies on him for naps. Occasionally he would pee through his pants, but that didn’t last long, few weeks maybe. I always made sure he went potty before he went down for his nap and always went to potty the second he woke up. 

12) Night time potty training…….. To my surprise, this didn’t take as long as I thought it would. 

13) First, Conor has a double bed and TRUST ME when I say having a plastic waterproof bed liner is a MUST! 

14) I started the nighttime bedtime routine around 730pm. He gets nothing to drink after 7pm except for on small SIP of water just before bed. Going potty is the last thing we do before he hits the sheets. 

15) When I first started this process, I would usually wake him up around 2am (most the time I was up anyway and/or just getting ready to go to bed myself) and I would take him into the bathroom to go potty. Most the time it was like he was sleep-walking-peeing cause he was ½ asleep, but he was able to empty his bladder and MOST the time he went right back to sleep. I did this for about 2 weeks or so. 

16) I think the nighttime training lasted about a month, in which he had maybe 8-10 accidents. (Like I said, the waterproof liner is a must!) When he would pee, he immediately woke up and would come into my room. He would tug on my arm or start to crawl into my and that was when I felt him wet. We got up, cleaned up, and he usually ended up sleeping me with that night till I could clean his sheets the next morning. 

17) I honestly can’t remember the last time he had an accident in his bed. 

18) NOW…… We are just getting the “behavioral, I’m too lazy to go to the toilet, accidents”. For example, few weeks ago, Conor went into the bathroom at Grandma’s house, shut the door, and proceeded to pee on the rug and the floor behind the door. That same week, he was at his other grandma’s house and he peed on the floor in front of the toilet (Grandma thinks he just might not have gotten to toilet in time) but he peed on the floor in front the toilet and then took his shirt off and put it in the pee (maybe attempting to clean it up? IDK). So those are the small behavioral “I’m testing you” instances we are dealing with now, but for the most part Conor is 99.9999999% potty trained and these are the steps I used. 

Anyway….. I hope something you just read helps. Keep me posted and let me know how things progress would you please? GOOD LUCK! 

I hope this helps someone else too. 


No comments: