Conor
got his iPad training through the State of Arizona and the Department of Developmental Disabilities approved several months ago. I started the process December of 2012, after
requesting several letters and reports, after getting 2 prescription from his
doctor, after 2 evaluations, after lots of paperwork and TONS of waiting…. We were finally able to start teaching Conor to communicate using an iPad in September of 2013. As soon as I got his iPad, I
was able to schedule the training classes I needed to attend. The Apple Store
class was the basics of the iPad, things like how to turn it on. How to go back (since unlike the Android doesn't have a back button).... I needed this class as I am an android person and
not a fan of Apple products. I also needed to attended the TouchChat training class
through SW Human Development on the actual TouchChat program itself. But I kinda needed to know how to turn it on first. LOL
| |
| Screen Shot of TouchChat Program |
When
I attended the hour long Apple Store class, I had to find one on a weekend and unfortunately
the only one on the weekend within the next 30 days was about 50 miles from my
home, at like 8am. But, I woke up early and drove my happy ass out there because
I needed to know how to turn the damn thing on. LOL The class was free, which I
thought was pretty cool and it was actually a pretty informative class. I
learned that android was sooo much better than Apple, but Apple did have a few
cool features. But being that I am pretty proficient at my smartphone and
tablet (which is also an android tablet) navigating and understanding the iPad
was fairly simple. So I finished the class and went about my way and scheduled my next training class
on for the following weekend.
The
next weekend, I showed up at SW Human Development at 10am for the training on
the TouchChat communication program. Damn… It was soooo long ago I barely
remember all the details, but what I do remember was that we didn’t start till
1030ish. Then the reason we started late was because of this one couple who also just so happened that they had to leave at like 1115am (when the class was supposed to
last 2-3 hours - so yeah they were getting less than an hour of training of it), another couple was clearly new to the whole tablet thing and didn’t
even know how to put it on the cool little stand it came with. And the only
other lady who was there besides me barely spoke English. So there were 4
groups of people in attendance. Anyway………. We start the class and the
instructor (who also happens to be the same one who did Conor’s evaluations)
started with the basics. How to turn the iPad on…. How to navigate…. Etc Etc
Etc…. OVER 2 HOURS LATER, we were STILL talking about the BASICS of the iPad
itself and had “touched” very little on the TouchChat program that we were
there to learn about. I mean…. I had just driven 100miles, round trip the
weekend before, to learn in an hour from the Apple Store what I had just
learned again in 2 hours. I was not happy. Evidently, it was clear that I was
not happy, because there was several times when the instructor would look at me
and say “you already knew that didn’t you?” She probably said that about 6—7 times.
At one point, she actually said “Gee, I hope you get something out of this
class.” I thought to myself ME TOO!!!!!!!! FINALLY a little after 12pm she said
we were going to get into the TouchChat program, but we were going to take a
quick 15 minute break first. REALLY????????????? EYIE EYIE EYIE……..Come on...........
So
needless to say, I got VERY LITTLE training on the actual TouchChat program
itself. She tried to rush through the TouchChat training because we only had 45 minutes left. Of course, those who just asked every possible question you could think of about the iPad functions also kept asking questions about the TouchChat, which of course is fine, they have questions.... But seriously? These questions should have been asked 2 hours ago, not 30 minutes before the end of the class. Oh wait.... That's right, we were too busy going over iPad functions. My bad! When we all got up to leave, the instructor told everyone that if they
ever had questions, or needed anything, to let her know. She knew before this
class that I had asked her to give one on one training to Conor’s
speech therapist and we even discussed me giving authorization to transfer 2-3 hours of AugCom training to her to use for that. She was totally fine with that and when I left she mentioned
that she was looking forward to working with Lindsay.
THAT
WAS IN SEPTEMBER………………
Since
then, the instructor has not been easy to communicate with. She has not been
quick to return emails or call. She attempted to bill for training hours as
Occupational hours and NOT AugCom Training hours (which she SHOULD have known
to bill for) and of course the OT hours were denied, yet pushing back training
even more. Then there were vacations, holidays, etc…. She had said to me
several times that she was willing to meet with Lindsay anytime and anywhere,
yet when Lindsay would reach her, the instructor would tell her that she rarely
makes it to our area and she lives like 60 miles away from us.
Soooooooooooo………..
My frustration continued to grow as Conor's brand new iPad that I busted my ass to make sure he had, sat for weeks and months in the case in the
cupboard, not being used. I played with templates a little bit here and there, but couldn’t do
too much because I didn’t know how his Speech Therapist wanted to use it and
how she wanted to set up his pages. My hands were tied!
Nick,
Ashley and Mandi, Conor’s Habilitation therapists from HOPE Group were using puzzle pieces and PECS cards for identification and pointing/touching. Then they talked about using clip art images to teach generalization. I suggested to them that the iPad TouchChat program has all these images. So they thought that was a great idea and started adding some additional photos. They added a few
photos of me, Conor’s father, grandparents, therapists etc… For the last few weeks, they would take out the iPad and have Conor point to mom. Conor would point
to mom and if it was silent, he did it right. If it repeated “mom” then he
touched it and didn’t point. I saw he was somewhat comfortable with it so I
downloaded several of his learning apps and a few new ones. NO GAMES. No Temple
Run, No Minion Rush. I disabled Safari and YouTube is no where to be found. For
the last week, his “game tablet” has not even come out of the drawer as he has
been using the iPad and playing with his learning games. Lindsay suggested an app called NACD Home Speech Therapists for Apraxia. It was $4.99 in the Apple Store so I downloaded it too. I would even hear him pressing buttons on his TouchChat program as he was playing.
Well…….
The other night I was in the kitchen folding laundry at the counter and Conor walked
into the kitchen. I wasn’t paying too much attention until he walked right up
next to me and pressed the button that said “MOM”. I immediately looked down at
him and smiled and said “yes baby”. He looked up at me and pressed the button
again “MOM. I wanted to cry. I was so happy. It was almost as good as HEARING
him say “MOM”. I asked him what he wanted and he pointed to the fridge, opened
it up and pointed to his juice. I was soo happy. I tried to get HIM to say “mom”
but all I got was “puh puh puh” (which is the sound he always gives when we
want him to say “MMMMM”) but I tried…. I gave him a big old hug and kiss and
got him his juice.
This
is going to sound weird, but after he walked away and sat in his chair pressing the "grandma" button and the "Ashley" and the "Mandi" buttons, the more I thought about it……….. The more PISSED
OFF I got. Conor was able to do this, get my attention and “virtually call my
name” within just a few weeks of him just playing with his iPad AND WITH NO TRAINING!!!! I was
pissed because it’s been almost 4 months since I got this iPad and 4 months have been wasted. He could have been using his iPad for the
past 4 months and could potentially be 4 months further along than he is now. Who’s
fault it this?????????????? I started to point the finger……….. Three people
were involved here. The actual instructor from SW Human Development, Lindsay
his speech therapist and myself.
Looking
at the facts, and how everything played out, I do not put any blame on Lindsay
at all. She did what she was supposed to, not to mention she has been a wee bit
busy with Conor 2 days a week PLUS introducing speech therapy. I could sit here
and put the blame on the instructor, and yes sure she is not easy to communicate
with, nor is she easy to work with, but ultimately this falls on me, the mom. I
was ultimately responsible to keep this ball bouncing and and not only did I allow the ball to stop bouncing, I totally dropped it! This fall was absolutely crazy. Schedules changing, work deadlines, feeding
therapy, hospital visits, holidays… NONE of which is an excuse. This is on me.
I
should have been the one to follow through. I should have been the one to keep
pushing and I didn’t. I should have learned my lesson when I spoke up at Conor’s
18 month check up and voiced my concerns about him not talking, and his
pediatrician told me to “wait 6 months till he turns 2, if there is no
progress, then we will address the issue”………….. HELL NO!!!!!!!!!! I waited 6
months to seek help for my son, 6 months was wasted. I just did it again with this
iPad. Conor is such a quick learner (to most things) and we wasted 4 months of
communication learning, his biggest delay, while his damn iPad sat in the effing cupboard collecting f***ing
dust!!!!!!!!!!!
HELL
NO……….. I am not going through this shit again! LESSON LEARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First thing this morning, I contacted his support coordinator with DDD and explained what has gone on. She is checking into
what can be done. Nick, Conor’s HAB-B has offered to help with the basic
training of it since he is familiar with it, but we want to make sure he gets
paid and Lindsay gets paid etc. So Conor’s support coordinator is checking into
specifics of how we can make that happen. Not to mention the State of AZ has all kinds of
rules and crap that they have to follow about this iPad training and making sure that "proper training" is provided is one of them. NOT that Nick wouldn't provide some good training for us, but the state wants to make sure the training is authorized etc etc etc. She and I emailed back and fourth a few times throughout the day and I am supposed to hear from her
tomorrow on this. You bet your ass if I don’t hear something before I leave work tomorrow,
I will be making a phone call. I am not letting anymore time be wasted on this.

No comments:
Post a Comment