4/14/2014

04/14/14 - Autism Live Interview on April 8th, 2014

Damn, I said I was going to write more in this blog as one of my New Year's resolutions... I guess I had better get on that! LOL

Anyway, I just posted my video interview that I had with Shannon Penrod of Autism Live. She mentioned a letter I had written in to her, which I also sent to several other close friends and family, and I just wanted to post the letter in its entirety here on my blog.

I want to also thank Shannon Penrod for having me on her show again, it was truly an honor.

Here is the letter:

Here we go again!

Have you ever had someone enter your life and just change it completely around? Two years ago, that happened to me. It was just after Conor's 2nd birthday when the doctors told me Conor was "at risk" of autism. A few days after that, I received a phone call from a woman named Amy Hummell at Autism Speaks. Amy talked me through a bunch of stuff and gave me the guidance (and swift kick in the ass) that I needed to take action. Ever since, Conor has been on the path to a whole new life of hope. With help from his therapists, Conor is now able to communicate a lot of his needs and wants. He isn't talking yet, but he is getting new sounds every day, and I know one of these days I will hear him tell me "Mommy I love you" and let me tell you, when that day comes, I am going to take an add out in the paper and shout it from the roof tops! I really don't know where Conor would be today if I had not received that phone call from Amy.

As I got more involved with getting Conor the services he needed and found him the right therapy team, I was able to dedicate and volunteer a lot of my time to give back to the woman and the organization that made it possible. During my hours of volunteer time for Autism Speaks, I learned a lot about the organization and the walk and where the money goes. I was in awe to find out how much money actually stayed here locally in OUR community. Last year alone, the walk raised about 1.5 million dollars. More than half of that stayed here locally. SARRC (Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center) was able to take in half of what they walk raised, HALF!!! When I heard this, I had to find out more.

So.... I called up my buddy Addie from the Autism Speaks walk committee, and since she worked for SARRC, I asked her if I could come see what SARRC was all about. Addie was able to give me a tour of one of the facilities. I was again in awe.... Each area she took me too, was better than the last. Within the first 10 minutes, I just knew this was where Conor NEEDED to be. Their research and development and progress statistics were beyond amazing. To see the classrooms, and the parents who were also in a classroom, and to see the kids learning and being happy.... I wanted to cry. And to think, HALF of the money raised at the walk goes to this agency for services and research and new tools and new teachers. It just made me want to work even harder to raise money for the walk, knowing that 1/2 of what I raised personally... went to SARRC.

Every once in a while I come across someone who is an "Anti Autism Speaks Supporter", and to be honest, they have the right to their opinion, but then again I also have the right to voice mine... and boy do I! Every chance I get to try and set someone straight about Autism Speaks, I do. Whether I change their mind or not, it doesn’t matter. At least I know I did my part in trying to educate them. I honestly think that if they saw where the funds from the Arizona Walk Now for Autism money really went and had a chance to tour the SARRC facilities... I think that alone would change their mind. Now, just to set the record straight... Our walk here in Arizona is one of only a couple walks across the entire country that are partnered with an agency such a SARRC, and for that I am BEYOND PROUD to support it.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I want everyone to know just how important and how much Autism Speaks has done for Conor and for myself. I know and I have heard, "why do you put so much time into raising money for Autism Speaks", well.... here's the reason why. Like I said, I don't know where Conor or myself would be right now without receiving that phone call from Amy. I was clueless as of where to go or what to do. The resources she and Autism Speaks helped provide are WHY Conor has made the progress he has. Amy and Autism Speaks, was the spark that got the fire going and it has been burning strong for over 2 years now. With the addition of his services he receives from the state, the help from his support coordinator(s), the therapists and the three different agencies that they come from (HOPE Group, TEAM 4 Kids, and Therapy One), Conor would not have made the progress he has made over the past 2 years.

I am beyond grateful to Amy, Autism Speaks and his team of therapists and I will forever being in their debt. I will continue to advocate for autism awareness and I will NEVER stop advocating for my son. With that being said, Conor and I am proud to announce that Conor and I are participating yet again in Walk Now for Autism Speaks to help find the missing pieces of autism. I am proud to announce that I am yet again taking part on the walk committee as well. Autism is the second most common developmental disorder in the United States affecting 1 in every 68 children born today. More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined.  Research is crucial.  Despite some promising discoveries, the cause of autism is unknown and a cure does not exist.  Our goal is to change the future for all who struggle with autism spectrum disorders, and soon.

Walk Now for Autism Speaks is our chance to make a difference in the fight against autism by raising money for autism research and heightening public awareness. Please join me in my fight as I continue to raise money to help fund essential research. You can donate to Walk Now for Autism Speaks and/or join my team online using the links at the bottom of this page. Donations can also be mailed to Autism Speaks using the donation form I have attached to this email with checks made out to Autism Speaks.

Thank you for taking reading this and thank you for taking an important step in the fight against autism.

Donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
Autism Speaks 501 (C)(3) Tax Id #: 20-2329938

Matching gift program: Many companies provide their employees with matching gifts. Please consult your employer on its matching gift guidelines and attach matching gift forms accordingly.


Please visit Conor's Autism Speaks Walk page to make a donation and/or join his walk team:

http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/arizona/autismwillnotdefinemyson
 
 
 
~ We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open. ~

No comments: