It is said that Autism is a "disability". Well, I say Autism is NOT a "disability". Autism is just another challenge. Autism is just another hurdle that one needs to find a way to get past, by any means necessary. Over.... Under... Around.... Doesn't matter. Conor will find HIS way past this hurdle.... Autism WILL NOT Define My Son. Conor will define who he is and who he wants to be. Be sure to follow Conor along his journey at www.facebook.com/AutismWillNotDefineMyson.
7/19/2012
AWARENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well... The Poker Tournament is quickly approaching in 9 days. To date, we have 4 people signed up. I have been pushing and pushing and practically begging people to help spread the word. I soooo hope more people start signing up soon. Doing the online registration gives us a good idea of a head count so I can let Mike, the owner of Bullshooters, kind of an idea of how much room we will need. But will people wait till the last minute to sign up? Will people just show up at the door? Will anyone show up at all? THAT is what I am afraid of. I don't want all this work to go to waste. Granted, we have 4 players then we have 4 players and they can play. But come on........... FOUR PLAYERS? Really? I am going to be so disappointed if this is not a good fundraiser.
On another note.............. Two other things have developed....
The other day, Amy Hummel who is the head of the AZ Chapter of Autism Speaks, emailed me and asked me if I would be willing to join a committee for the AZ Autism Speaks social media networking group. She said she was impressed with all the Facebook stuff I have done and thought I would be a good fit for this committee. She said their is a chairperson and everything! Thinking to myself, I thought "When are you going to find time to do THAT plus everything else you have going on Kerrie?" Then I answered myself.......... "MAKE IT WORK!!! YOU ARE INVOLVED WITH AUTISM AND AUTISM SPEAKS FOR A REASON. THAT REASON IS IN THE PICTURE ABOVE." So.... I responded and told Amy when she has more information to let me know and that yes, I was interested. So.... we will see where that goes.
The OTHER development is that I got an email from a Dawn Snider, Editor and Publisher at Macaroni Kids here in the Phoenix area. She does a weekly newsletter that reaches about 1500+ people for "Things-To-Do" in the community as well as other stuff. She emailed me to ask me if I would be okay with her doing an article on the Poker Tournament. I thought that was pretty damn cool! So of course I said yes. I look forward to seeing what she has to say about the fundraiser and can only hope that it reaches a lot of people.
So it seems that my efforts are not totally going to waste. Someone is taking notice. That makes me happy. :)
Autism, in all forms, needs to learned about. This 1 in 88 kids statistic is ridiculous!!! I have 2 friends that are currently pregnant. I think about them every day and hope that they their lil babies don't end up being that 1 in 88. I know what it's like to sit in that room, across from a team of doctors, holding my son, listening to them tell me all about Autism. I don't want that for them. Conor is one of the 1's in 88. Conor is just beginning his journey with Autism.
Conor is my hero.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment