I
know I just finished a blog post a little bit ago about this woman who abused
and killed her 3 year old son, but I just came across another story and video
that I feel the need to write about.
Avonte
Oquendo is... excuse me... WAS a 13 year old boy
with autism, who was non-verbal. He had a history of wondering and about 3
months ago, he wondered away from his school in New York, never to be seen again. Just
this past week, parts of his body were found in a river in New York, not far
from where he was last seen. Water acts like a magnet to some kids with autism
as they are drawn to it. Whether he entered the water on his own, not able to
get out, or something even more unimaginable happened and he was placed in the
water by someone else... the investigation is still ongoing.
This video I am attaching to the end of this blog is a video of Holly Robinson-Pete
as she explains how important Autism Awareness is. As she said, Avonte was
non-verbal and was unable to advocate for himself. So when he did wonder, he
was unable to tell anyone "hey I am lost" or was unable to tell
anyone "hey I am scared, please help me". This made me think of
Conor. It also made me think of a conversation I had with someone very close to
me. (See conversation below.)
A
LOVED ONE ASKED:
"I'm not being
critical, honestly, honestly, I'm really, really really not. I just want to
understand. You say "Autism will not define my son", yet you have it
tattooed on you saying it, signs everywhere saying it, even signs in Conor's
space to remind him of it. You DEFINE him every minute as a child with Autism.
I just need to understand, I'm not being critical. I just don't understand the
constant publication of a diagnosis which "defines" something, VS the
constant encouragement of overcoming challenges. It's not something he
understands now.. but later, not so much"
MY
RESPONSE:
Because
sooooooooooooo many parents say "oh my kid has autism, he CAN'T do
that" or "he has autism he will never be able to do that". Or other
people who see a kid with autism and think the same thing. HE CAN'T..... HE WILL
NEVER.... Not Conor. He is going to have the same opportunities, and I am going
to make sure of it. He will try everything (such as baseball and soccer) if he
doesn't like it, so be it, but he will try. I am not going to let his
"disability" (which I don't see as a disability) define who he is.
CONOR will define who he is and who he will become. When he does get older and
starts to understand it more, I will basically show him how far he has come and
that he is just Conor and he can still do whatever he wants to do. How he goes
about it may be a little different, but he can still do it. No matter what
other people want to label him, he is still my son and that is all I see....
Unfortunately, the rest of the world may see something different. FOR
EXAMPLE: We went to Safeway to pick up little cups for therapy. I had an
Ink4Autism shirt on. The checkout girl tried to talk to Conor, of course he
didn't respond. I told her "he doesn't talk yet, but we work on it every
day". After that, how she looked at my son TOTALLY CHANGED. It went from excited to talk to a
little boy to what seemed to me like sympathy. Why do people need to act like
that? It makes me sad and pisses me off at the same time.
A LOVED ONE RESPONDED:
But you don't need to make excuses for him and again, there goes the labeling issue. You don't want people to feel sorry for him yet you label him and make sure everyone knows he has autism. Like you have to explain why he's not talking to them.
But you don't need to make excuses for him and again, there goes the labeling issue. You don't want people to feel sorry for him yet you label him and make sure everyone knows he has autism. Like you have to explain why he's not talking to them.
MY
RESPONSE:
That is what I would
LOVE to change. How OTHERS see my son. He is still a little boy, with feelings
and desires and wants and needs. He just has a few more challenges than other
"normal kids". I don’t want people to feel sorry for him. By me
telling her he had autism, she is now more aware and maybe the next kid she
approaches who is of talking age and can't talk, she will not be the same way
to. I want to help people understand. I want to change perception. I don’t want
people looking at my kid different. But if they have to look at him different
UNTIL I can enlighten them of the disorder so be it. NOT TO MENTION........ Who's
to say people who don’t know about it, ask "what are the signs" and I
tell them the signs or tell them where to look for more info and all of a
sudden something clicks and maybe their kid or someone they know has the same
signs... Next thing they are getting services and help that they need. It’s all
about education. Everyone keeps telling me "God gave me this child for a
reason" maybe this is part of the reason.
A LOVED ONE RESPONDED:
Yes, but education doesn't
involve your own child.
This is pretty much when we agreed
to disagree……………...
I still feel that it is all about
awareness and education, and yes, it DOES involve my child. Everything I do involves my child. But, just like Holly Robinson-Pete says in this video “The
stigma of autism is difficult to process. People just don’t know what it is and
they are scared of what they don’t know. It has to be out there more and we
have to talk about it more.” THINK ABOUT IT…….. IF more people were aware of
what autism was and IF less people were afraid of what it meant to have autism,
it is quite possible that someone would have been able to really SEE Avonte and
someone would have SEEN and really NOTICED the signs of autism and contacted
the local authorities. There were signs and posters and news casts and all
kinds of stuff announcing this missing kid, if more people would have known to
look for the signs…. This 13 year old boy just might be home with his parents
right now, rather than his parents planning a public memorial.
Who’s to say that Conor, who ALSO has
a tendency to wonder…. who ALSO is non-verbal…. won’t wonder from HIS school, or
God-forbid from someone’s home? I sure as hell would want the community to know
what autism was, signed to look for, so if they came across my son and Conor
was unable to talk, they didn’t just assume he just didn’t want to talk or that
he was fine, when in reality he was lost and had no idea where I was or how to
find me. It’s all about education and awareness. Plain and simple……. THERE
NEEDS TO BE MORE OF IT! If that means more shirts that say something about
autism, then that means more shirts. If that means more posters, more tattoos, more
vehicle stickers, then so be it. WHATEVER it takes to catch someone’s attention,
to start a conversation and to ask a question.
Autism Will Not Define My Son……..
That is true. Conor’s diagnosis won’t define who he is, or who he becomes. But
you know what? The more I think about it…..
BEING An Autism Mom Has Defined ME!!!
BEING An Autism Mom Has Defined ME!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment